If you are new to blogging and you will like to create a blog that is going to bring lots of traffic and also lots of money in no time then you have come to the right site.
In this post I will be covering a lot, from choosing your blog platform to customizing your blog.
I will also be giving you some tips and advice about starting a blog so just sit and relax while you are reading also and please don’t forget to read my article on the top ten and recommended apps for bloggers
Before going into what we have for today, let’s look at the steps in creating a blog.
STEPS FOR CREATING A BLOG
- Choose your blogging platform.
- Choose your blog host and a domain name.
- How to host your blog and choose a domain name with bluehost.
- Set up your blog using WordPress.
- Customize your blog with WordPress.
Choose your blogging platform
If you are a newbie here and do not know what a platform is, well, luckily for you, I will explain what a platform is and don’t worry I will try my best in explaining everything about creating a good blog so that you can be able to understand very well.
Now a platform is like a software you use to run your blog. With this platform you can write, design and customize your blog.
They are many platforms you can use to run your blog, such as WordPress, Blogger, Wix, Weebly, Squarespace and others. The platforms mention above are the most popular platforms.
Like I said earlier, that I will also be giving you some tips and advice in creating a good blog.
If you are to ask me what is my recommended platform for you or which platform I’m I using, well, the answer is WordPress.
WordPress? Why always WordPress? I choose WordPress because WordPress is one of the biggest and most used platform in the world. WordPress are blogging friendly, they comes with 5,000+ themes and plugins, they are easy to setup and also they have 24/7 supports if you get stuck.
WordPress powers over 91% of all blogs on the web and WordPress has 82 million active users all over the world.
Now you see why I recommend WordPress as the best blogging platform.
Now let’s go to the next step.
CHOOSE YOUR BLOG HOST AND A DOMAIN NAME
One of the most important thing about blogging is choosing your domain name and your host.
A host is a company that puts your blog site on the web or on the internet so that everybody will be able to see it. It also saves everything about your blog on its server. So you don’t actually need to worry about losing your blog files.
Note: when choosing a host you must make sure that the host won’t go offline randomly and also the host must have a 24/7 support just in case something goes wrong.
They are lots of hosting companies but my recommended host for you is Bluehost because
- It is a recommended host from WordPress.
- They have good support.
- one-click installation for WordPress and some other platforms.
- They come with a free domain name, hence, you don’t have to purchase a domain name and also their hosting plans are cheap.
Now before we go deeper into hosting your blog let us briefly look at how to choose your domain name.
A domain name is the name of your blog.com, it is your site’s name address.
Domain name is very important and when choosing a domain name you have to be careful because after choosing a domain name you cannot change the name again.
These are some tips you need to follow when choosing a domain name:
- You must choose a name that describes your blog niche.
Oops, newbies might be wondering what a bog niche is.
A blog niche tells the type of blog you are blogging about. For example, if you love fashion and what to blog about fashion, you must choose a name that is similar to fashion, something like fashionblog.com. The same goes to other niche too like tech, news, health issues or matters, food. e.t.c.
- Pick a good domain name extension. A domain name extension are your .com, .net, .ng. e.t.c.
If you are opening a blog the best and most recommended domain name extension are .com and .net.
- Choose a name that sounds good.
- Make sure your domain name is not too long so that visitors can be able to type your url correctly.
- Avoid using columns, commas, numbers, question mark or punctuation marks in your site name address.
- And lastly do not use somebody’s address or use an address that is very similar to somebody’s own.
- They are one of the best hosting companies in the world
- They have very fast servers
- 24/7 customer support
You can actually purchase a domain name but I recommend you to use a host that offer you a free domain name so that you will not spend too much money. So I will recommended you to use Bluehost.
HOW TO HOST AND CHOOSE YOUR DOMAIN NAME WITH BLUEHOST
Sign up for Bluehost
In other to host your blog you need to sign up for Bluehost using this link Bluehost
Choose a hosting plan
In the Bluehost hosting plans, we have the basic plan, the plus plan, the prime and pro.
The basic plan is a perfect option for beginners who doesn’t want to spend too much. You can always upgrade later as time goes on. The basic plan costs $2.95/month.
The plus plan cost about $5.45/month and $24/yr while the prime plan cost about $5.45 and $80/yr. I recommend you to use the prime plan if you are really serious about your blog.
Choose your domain name
After choosing your plan, you will be taken to another page asking you to register a new domain name or an existing domain name.
By clicking the new domain name you are telling Bluehost that you don’t have a domain name and you would like to have one for free.
Then you will have to fill in your domain name with your desired name extension (e.g. .com, .net).
After choosing your domain name, you will be ask to fill in your account information.
After filling your account information then you have to choose your package and options and you will also see some extra features.
After that you will enter your payment information by using your credit card but if you are using PayPal you can select the “more payment options”.
After filling your account information and payment information, a confirmation link will be sent to your email. Go to your email and click the confirmation link.
After that, you will be asked to create your new password.
After creating your password, you will be redirected to a page where you have to login.
After login-in you will be asked to select a theme which you can change any time you like but you can actually skip that step if you want to choose a better theme.
SET-UP YOUR BLOG USING WORDPRESS
After choosing your theme or skipping that step. You will click the “start building” button to go to your WordPress dashboard where you can customize, write posts and do almost everything on your blog.
Note: if you choose a new domain name, your blog may show a temporary domain name. Don’t worry your real domain name will come up after some hours.
After clicking the start building button, go to my site and click login to WordPress.
After logging in you will be directed to your WordPress dashboard.
Note: you don’t have to always login to Bluehost to use WordPress. You just have to type www.your domain name.com/wp-admin, Then you will be directed to your WordPress dashboard.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR BLOG WITH WORDPRESS
In your WordPress dashboard at the side bar you will see different tabs. I’m going to give you some highlights of what some of these tabs mean or do.
- Posts: it’s where all your blog posts are saved before and after publishing it on web and it’s also where you write your blog posts.
- Media: where all your uploaded media files are saved.
- Pages: you can create static pages like your “About Us” page, “Contact Page.
- Comments: you can manage your blog comments.
- Appearance: you can edit and choose your blog’s themes.
- Users: you can add users to your blog like authors.
- Plugins: you can add and remove plugins which add additional features to your site.
At your screen you will be asked to choose what type of site you are creating, a business or a personal site.
After choosing the type of your site, you will be asked to input your site address and title.
Your site address is the name of your site and your site title is a short description of your site.
After setting up your blog then you can activate a theme and customize it by clicking appearance. WordPress has thousands of themes.
You just have to click the best theme you like and upload it, you can also upload a purchased or a downloaded theme by clicking the upload button and selecting the file where you download the zip file of your theme.
But I will highly recommend you to buy a theme because free themes takes hours to customize but with a purchased theme you can customize it in no time and also you can customize it anyway you like. There are actually millions and millions of beautiful themes for your blog but I will be giving you a list of my recommended themes for you.
- Color Mag
- News Card
- News Mag
- The motion Lite
- Divi theme
- Avada theme
- Forest theme
- Ocean WP
After choosing your theme then you can do some few customization like
- Choosing your text fonts.
- Choosing your color palettes and your background image or color.
- Creating a logo and uploading it.
- Writing your most important pages like “About Us”, “Contact Page” and any other page. You can write those pages by clicking add pages in your WordPress dashboard.
- Customize your navigation menu
- Add advertising to your blog
- You can add widgets too on your blog. You can widgets like
- Social icon: where you can link all your social Medias to your blog.
- Gavatar profile: where you add an image and a short description of yourself.
- A mail chimp popup: an email services that popups a box where you subscribers can subscribe to your blog easily.
Choose the best plugin for your blog. Plugins add additional features to your blog. I’m going to give you the list of some plugin which you must install in your blog. Installing too much plugin can slow your site so its better if you only install the best.
Note: Installing too much plugin can slow your site so its better if you only install the best.
- Google analytics: Google analytics helps you track your blog traffic. It tells the total number of visitors, likes, viewers, traffic sources, views per author and category.
- Yoast SEO: yoast SEO is one of the standard plugin for WordPress. With this plugin you can make your blog more search-engine friendly. It helps bloggers to know if their blog content is SEO friendly
- Akismet: Akismet is a comment span plugin. Akismet helps in stave off comment span and also delete all the junk comments in your blog.
- Contact form 7: it helps you create different types of contact forms. If you don’t want to code your contact form you can use contact form 7 to do the job easily without much stress.
- Jetpack by wordpress.com: the jetpack plugin by WordPress is one of the most important plugins for your blog. The jetpack plugins comprises of over 30 modules of which you can activate on your blog. It comprises of your site stats, related posts and much more.
- WP super cache: The WP super cache plugin helps to speed up your blog.
- Simple social share: it helps in adding different sharing options to your blog posts. Visitors or viewers can easily share your blog post on social media, etc.
- Wordfence security plugin: this plugin helps to secure your site from hackers. It prevent hackers from login in into your wordpress dashboard.
If you follow all this steps that I have given you in this article from choosing your domain name to customizing your site, I think your site will be almost ready. Well, if have any questions, feedbacks, contributions to this article, please do well to drop them in the comment box, I will be very happy to hear your contributions and also to answer all your questions and also don’t forget to share this article on social media with the social share buttons