Would you like to start a blog for free without paying a dime and still get money from it? Are you thinking of creating a blog for free maybe because you want to be a blogger but you don’t have much money to start a blog? Well, I have gone through all that and I understand what you are experiencing or facing now. Luckily for you, that is the reason why I wrote this article.
Going into blogging or being a blogger is not really an easy task especially for beginners like you. You need to sacrifice a lot, for not just being a blogger but for being a well-known and recognized blogger.
“It is better not to blog, than to blog and give up on your blog”
The Reason why you should give a Second Thought about Blogging before Creating your own Blog
- Blogging is not something you just go into maybe because others are blogging or most of your friends are blogging and you just want to blog too….. NO!
- You shouldn’t just create a blog because you just want to make money out of it overnight or maybe you are thinking that blogging is like a quick money making machine or something…….
- Even it seems like your blog is going down or something, just remember that you are not giving up because when you start blogging YOU MUST experience it too….
This reason why I am giving you this reasons is not because I don’t want you to be a blogger or I’m trying to discourage you from blogging but it is because you should know the reason why you are a blogger and why you should blog.
Below are what I will be explaining or telling you about in this article.
Table of Content
- The Reason why you should give a Second Thought about Blogging before Creating your own Blog.
- Why I choose WordPress as the Best and Recommended platform.
- Disadvantages of creating a free blog.
- The Reason why WordPress.org is better than WordPress.com.
- Advantages of WordPress.com
- Is WordPress.com really free?
- Things to consider before creating a blog.
- Steps in creating a free blog with WordPress.
Please don’t be in a rush while reading this article, if you are, I will advise you to save this post or come back later when you are less busy. Just sit, relax and enjoy reading this article and also please don’t forget to share this article to your friends on social Media and forums. There is also an article that I will highly recommend you to read, it’s an article from one of my best blog, “how to promote your blog post”, you will really learn a lot from it.
We have different ways of creating a free blog, but my most recommended platform or host is WordPress. If you are not interested in creating a free blog, you can check out my post on how to create a blog.
You might wondering why I choose WordPress, the reason why I choose WordPress is because:
- It is one of the biggest and most used platform in the world,
- It has about 5,000 plus themes and plugins of which must of them are free,
- They are very easy to setup and they are flexible,
- They have 24/7 supports just in case you get stuck,
- WordPress powers over 91% of all blogs on the web and has 82 million active users all over the world. Imagine that!!
- And the last but not the list, the reason why I recommend WordPress for you is because this very blog you are seeing and you are reading this article from is a free blog!! isn’t that shocking?
But before we go into how to create your WordPress.com, which you can create within some minutes, let’s look at the disadvantages of a WordPress.com blog. Well, you know that anything that has advantages has a disadvantage.
Disadvantages of creating a free blog with WordPress
- Limited themes
- Limited spaces. WordPress.com will only give you 3GB space for your blog post, media, etc
- You can’t install plugins
- You will have a sub-domain name like this: yourblogname.wordpress.com but you can always remove it before and after creating a blog with WordPress by buying a domain name or hosting your blog
- Limited features
The Reason why WordPress.org is better than WordPress.com (free blog)
There are two different ways of creating a blog with WordPress. They are:
- WordPress.org and
The reason why I said that WordPress.org is better than WordPress.com is because
- WordPress.org gives you full access over your blog or website but WordPress.com doesn’t
- WordPress.org allows you to add paid or free plugins and themes to your blog but WordPress.com doesn’t.
- With WordPress.org you can run your own ads on your blog but WordPress.com won’t allow you run your own ads.
These are the few reasons why people prefer using WordPress.org rather than using WordPress.com. You can only use WordPress.org only if your blog is hosted. If you want to know more about WordPress.org, please read my article on how to create a blog
Advantages of WordPress.com (free blog)
Since I have been talking about the disadvantages of WordPress.com and the advantages of WordPress.org but now let’s look at the advantages of WordPress.com, remember anything that has disadvantages has an advantage. Below are the advantages of WordPress.com:
- It allows you to create a free blog.
- It has free 3GB space.
- You don’t have to worry about updates or backup, WordPress will take care of it
- It has 24/7 support or assistance.
- You run affiliate marketing on your site.
- It is Freee!!!
Is WordPress.com really free?
Well if you were to ask me that questions, my answer will be YES! WordPress.com is totally free, 100% free.
Actually WordPress.com has some themes, plugins and hosting plans which you must pay for before getting them but it’s not actually a MUST that you must purchase them, you only buy them because you like them and because you would love to have them in your blog. But note that you can’t buy themes with a free blog, you must host your blog or upgrade your WordPress hosting plan.
Things to consider before creating a blog
- Choosing your domain name
- Choosing your themes
- Pick your blog niche
Choosing your domain name
Before jumping into the main topic for today I want to give you some tips on the choosing the right domain name before creating your blog. Domain names really matters a lot, a domain name tells your viewers or visitors the type of blog niche you are blogging about and also the name of your web address.
Don’t know what a domain name is?
A domain name is your blog’s URL i.e. your blog or website name. e.g. www.yourblogname.com.
These are some tips you need to follow when choosing a domain name:
- You must choose a name that describes your blog niche.
- Pick a good domain name extension. A domain name extension are your .com, .net, .ng. etc.
If you are opening a blog the best and most recommended domain name extension are .com and .net.
- Choose a name that sounds good.
- Make sure your domain name is not too long so that visitors can be able to type your url correctly.
- Avoid using columns, commas, numbers, question marks or punctuation marks in your site name address.
- And lastly do not use somebody’s address or use an address that is very similar to somebody’s own.
Choosing your themes
WordPress has millions of themes which most they are free but you should note that does free ones have limited features. But with the paid themes you can have unlimited access to it.
Note: you cannot get a paid theme with a free blog, you have to host it or upgrade your WordPress plan to get access to those paid themes.
WordPress.com (Free blog) like I said has limited themes but I am going to give you my most recommended themes, which are: “Apostrophe and Publisher”. The theme I was actually using before on my WordPress. Com blog is Apostrophe. They are also many other beautiful themes in WordPress even more beautiful than the one I am using now but what you should be considering is that you should pick a theme that best describes your blog niche. You can’t choose a photography theme for a news site.
Picking your blog niche
Like I said earlier a blog niche tells the type of blog you are blogging about. Choosing your blog niche is very simple, it’s all about blogging on what you love best or the most (passion). Note that they is no type of blog niche that will make you very rich, don’t expect any blog niche to make you rich. Do not say that they is a particular blog niche that makes people rich in no time, so I want to blog about that niche too, if you do, you will eventually find yourself failing or giving up because “you can’t give what you don’t know or have.” If you have interest in technology, why not blog on technology, the same goes to all niches too.
Now that we have known how to choose your domain name address, themes and blog niche, let’s now go into
How to create a free Blog with WordPress
I will be giving you steps you must follow to in create a free blog with WordPress.
Below are the steps in creating your free blog with WordPress
Steps in creating a free Blog with WordPress
- Visit the wordpress.com site.
- Click sign up from the menu button on the navigation bar.
- Sign up for a free WordPress account by entering a valid email address.
- Enter a username.
- Enter a strong password that can’t be easily known by anybody.
- Then click on create account.
- Enter your blog name.
- Then you will have to answer some question like, your primary goal of creating your blog, the type of blog you are creating.
- Click on continue.
- Choose a domain name. There are paid domain names and also free domain names available there. You just have to pick the one of your choice but I highly recommend you to pick the .com domain name, but also note that the .com domain name is not for free. If you want to know the reason why you should choose the .com domain name, you can check my article on how to create a blog.
- Confirm your email address.
- Then you will be taken to your dashboard.
Hurray!! You have now successfully created a free blog.
Please don’t forget to share and comment if you have questions, and also to stay updated and to get my upcoming post on how to make money from your free blog, please follow me on Twitter, Pinterest or like my Facebook page to be the first person to get my blog post.